Sunday 6 February 2022

A Poem a Day (493): Feline

This poem was written for JD Mader's Unemployed Imagination website. He has a writing group called 2minutesgo - just show up and write whatever you like or read everyone's stories. This is the link: 2minutesgo. Today I thought I'd write about a cat. Cheers :)

Feline
 
He came in and curled around my legs,
his warmth creating a seamless hug,
echoes of fog spiralling out
from his grey fur. Lounging. Left
to his own devices he purred,
oblivious to the human in his space.
 
In the morning his nose would meet mine
seconds before my alarm clock sounded.
It was his unique wake-up call, ensuring I
was up and serving his Highness promptly.
 
He brought me mice in the spring,
arranged in artful poses around his bowl.
In the summer it was delicate birds,
still and beautiful, imitating sleep.
 
The garden was his wild domain
and he guarded it like a dog.
He jumped the fence as deftly
as his arthritic legs allowed
to survey his kingdom, rain or shine,
tail twitching like a snake.
 
Copyright Vickie Johnstone, February 6, 2022
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)