Saturday 10 September 2022

A Poem a Day (537): Walk away

  
Robert Lee Brewer poetry prompt: write a refrain poem.
His poem: https://www.writersdigest.com/write-better-poetry/wednesday-poetry-prompts-624

In my early 20s, I was living with a boyfriend in southeast London. One day I received a letter, addressed to me, with my name and surname and full address and postcode. It was from a woman I'd never met, but who knew my boyfriend. She told me they were seeing each other and to stay home the next time he went to a particular club because she wanted to spend that time with him and for me not to be there. I remember she said: I'm far more woman than you. 
 

 
Walk away
 
Just because you can
doesn’t mean you should.
Think about the other woman,
think about the other man,
and just walk away.
 
There’s a relationship there,
and even if they tell you it’s doomed,
they’re involved with someone else,
so just walk away.
 
Another human is in the picture,
and sometimes a family,
so do the decent thing,
and just walk away.
 
Don’t be used by someone
to cheat on their partner or spouse.
Give them a piece of your mind
as you walk away.
 
They need to put their house in order
and not betray the one they’re with.
As Dolly once sang: “Don’t take my man
just because you can.”
 
Copyright Vickie Johnstone, September 10, 2022


 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)