Monday 27 August 2012

Words with... Kevin Tomsett


Thanks to Kevin Tomsett, author of Revenge, for this interview





Revenge
All Daniel wanted was a happy life with his new wife and children, but his ex-wife destroyed that dream. Now he's won the lottery and all he wants is revenge...






What is your day job or are you lucky enough to write for a living?
My day job is working for my local co-operative.

What books have you written so far?
A short story called Revenge.

What works in progress do you have?
I have a thriller called The Train and some fantasy ones as well.

How long did it take you to write your book/s? 
Revenge didn’t take long ­ about two weeks.

Do you write linear, or jump back and forth? Do you plan or write by the seat of your pants?
I write from the seat of my pants

Why do you write? 
That’s easy -­ it’s fun!

How long have you been writing? 
About a year.

Where and when do you write? Do you have set times?  
I write whenever my two boys will let me.

Which character from your books do you like most / are most like?  
None yet.

What / who inspired you to write and still inspires you? 
William Shatner and Kristina Jackson.

What do you think is the ideal recipe for a good novel or story? 
Not sure, I will let you know when I find it!

Have you ever based a character on someone from real life? And did you tell them? 
Um, yes, and, um, no, not yet!

Fave things: animal? food? drink? film? colour? band? song? place? item of clothing?
Animal = cat.
Food = pizza.
Drink = Jack and coke.
Film = 40-year-old Virgin and The Love Guru.
Colour = neon green.
Band = Take That.
Song = Kidz by Take That.
Place = Stubbington (where I grew up).
Item of clothing = my red jacket.

When you were a kid, what did you want to do / who did you want to be when you grew up? 
Like most little boys, I wanted to be a policeman.

Would you say that your dreams have come true or are you still working on them? 
Still working on it.

You’re walking in the forest and you bump into an alien librarian from Mars. He wants five book recommendations from you… 
Simple -­ five books by William Shatner.

Who is your favourite character from any book and why?  
Robert Langdon - ­the way Dan Brown writes him makes him so compelling.

Who is your hero / heroine? 
Former WWE wrestlers Shawn Michaels and Billy Gunn.

Which book do you wish you had written? 
Harry Potter.
Which three authors would you like to take to the pub? 
Kristina Jackson, Sean Sweeney and Amanda Hocking.

Are you published or self-published? What is your experience? 
Self-published. It’s hard, but rewarding.

How do you find the marketing experience?  
Very hard work and time-consuming.

What advice would you give other writers just starting out? 
Take your time and don’t rush it.

Do you have a blog? What do you blog about? 
Yes, but I don’t use it much.

What other hobbies do you have?
 My Xbox 360.

What would you like to achieve in the next five years? 
To be the next Amanda Hocking.

If you won the Lotto or a major publishing contract, what would you do with that dosh? 
Well, I would buy a house in the States, as well as a car, and season tickets to the Anaheim Ducks.

What question do you wish I’d asked and, of course, what is the answer? 
The last one, as I’m no good when put on the spot.

Links






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)