Friday 15 April 2022

NaPoWriMo (Day 15): Balls

 
For the month of April, I’m writing a poem a day from prompts on https://www.napowrimo.net. You can click on the headlines (Day One, etc) to view/add comments. There’s also a list of participants’ sites below the site header.

Day 15
 
Finally, here’s our daily (optional) prompt. This one may seem counter-intuitive, but today I’d like to challenge you to write a poem about something you have absolutely no interest in. This isn’t quite the same, I think, as something you’re indifferent to. For example, I have absolutely no interest in investment strategy. Anytime anyone tries to tell me about it, I want to put my fingers in my ears and go “lalalalalala”. My brain tries to shut down! This is honestly kind of funny, and I think this prompt has value precisely because it invites you to investigate some of the “why” behind resolutely not giving two hoots about something.


 
Balls
 
So your team lost on Thursday night,
and one fell over and cried
after a hard tackle,
and he missed the ball,
 
and some other guy whipped it
straight into the net instead,
and then another tripped on his laces,
fell splayed across the field,
 
while the crowd simply groaned,
and someone got red carded
and another fella got a yellow,
but he wasn’t disappointed.
 
It wasn’t his favourite colour,
but it suited him better.
Apparently, the ref was nuts
and needs a new pair of glasses,
 
and Old Man Whittel’s language
needs a good scrubbing out with soap,
but I can’t see how a fun time
was had by all.
 
You’re wringing your hands
and swearing at the heavens,
and cursing this team
you’ll never watch again…
 
Until next week.
 
And you know what?
I don’t have a care,
cos I really don’t like
this ‘beautiful game’.
 
Copyright Vickie Johnstone, April 15, 2022

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting :)