Sunday 17 April 2022

NaPoWriMo (Day 17): Two poems about dogs

 
For the month of April, I’m writing a poem a day from prompts on https://www.napowrimo.net. You can click on the headlines (Day One, etc) to view/add comments. There’s also a list of participants’ sites below the site header.

Day 17

Here’s our daily (optional) prompt. This is a fun one – it’s a prompt developed by the comic artist Lynda Barry, and it asks you to think about dogs you have known, seen, or heard about, and then use them as a springboard into wherever they take you.


 
Let’s talk about dogs
 
Let’s talk about dogs, baby,
what they mean to you and me - 
to all the dogs we’ve ever known
and cherished down the road.
 
They bark a lot, as we know,
roll around in fox poo and dribble, oh,
eat you out of house and home,
and chew your favourite high-heels,
 
But with a big, brown-eyed stare,
they’ve really got you there,
and you can’t ever say no
to wherever they want to go.
 
You’re sucker-punched,
and you know you’re all theirs.
there’s a lead on the back door
and it’s time for walkies.
 
Vickie Johnstone, April 17, 2022


 
 
It’s time for walkies
 
I’m pointing to my lead on the back door
because I wanna go for walkies.
 
I’ve been taking up your entire bed
for the whole morning long,
 
but now I want some exercise,
and I think it will do you good.
 
I wanna go sniff the road
and inspect it for other dogs’ doo,
 
smell the roses and the bushes,
and every thing in between too.
 
Maybe bring the frisbee
so I can show off my prowess,
 
with a jump and a leap and a twist,
to impress all the lady doggies.
 
But, hey, we’re too late for the school bus.
I won’t be able to chase it,
 
which means I won’t pull you flying.
I guess you’re relieved about that.
 
Come on, Bob, the afternoon’s young.
We gotta get going. Don’t be a lazy human.
 
I’m a young, strapping Labrador,
and I need my daily exercise,
 
or I’m gonna chew something up,
and you’ll give me your evil glare
 
that I’ve dared do something mean
when really I’m your best, best friend.
 
Copyright Vickie Johnstone, April 17, 2022


3 comments:

  1. I like how both fun poems are written from different perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting :)