Wednesday 20 April 2022

NaPoWriMo (Day 20): Daily bread

 
For the month of April, I’m writing a poem a day from prompts on https://www.napowrimo.net. You can click on the headlines (Day One, etc) to view/add comments. There’s also a list of participants’ sites below the site header.

20

Today, I’d like to challenge you to write a poem that anthropomorphizes a kind of food. It could be a favorite food of yours, or maybe one you feel conflicted about. I feel conflicted about Black Forest Cake, for example. It always looks so pretty in a bakery window, and I want to like the combination of cherries and chocolate . . . but I don’t. But how does the cake feel about it?


Daily bread
 
I am rising.
I feel myself almost risen,
bubbling below the surface,
indents and permeations.
 
I smell warm and cosy,
of balmy vanilla and tangy lemon.
My crust will soon have a crispness
that tempts without crumbling,
my middle softly melting,
something to be savoured.
 
I am rising,
and falling, resting almost.
Tiny currants decorate me,
little eyes looking out.
 
Hands remove me from the oven,
place me on a metal tray
and I breathe more freely,
happy to escape the sauna
and cool down, the heat bubbles
evanescent from my pores.
 
Copyright Vickie Johnstone, April 20, 2022


2 comments:

  1. Scrumptious! This one has a beautiful mouthfeel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alana :) I kind of fancy some crunchy breadstick!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting :)