Thursday 1 October 2020

A Poem a Day (268): Baking with nan

 
Baking with nan
 
Nan passes me the rolling pin, caked again
with dollops of creamy mush. Gooey sticking
elastic lines circle the stripy bowl’s pink insides,
the peeling pastry breathes out, running rings
for my warm stubby fingers to trace and avail.
I’m too small to reach the wooden table top,
so I stand tall on a two-stepped safety stool,
smart in my blue bear pinny, sleeves back,
rolled as I ought, professional, arms powdered
with flour, some flying into my yellow curls,
turning me prematurely grey. She laughs loud
and it echoes all around, purple rinse bobbing.
Some prize seeks the secret bowels of the oven
and the malty warmth explodes out, small hands
diving around the kitchen, spilling into corners,
until this gusty tang of gingerbread cloaks it all.
 
Copyright Vickie Johnstone, October 1, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)