Friday 7 September 2012

The Indie Exchange #FlashFiveFriday: Broken




It's Friday Flash time again...

The prompt is...
Broken





#FlashFiveFriday is a weekly flash fiction/flash blogging prompt run by The Indie Exchange.
The rules are very simple if you’d like to take part:
1) Write for no longer than five minutes;
2) No upper or lower word limits;
3) You must write something new;
4) You can prepare your post ahead of time but the 5 minute limit still applies; and
5) If you add your blog post to the weekly linky you must visit five other blogs that week too to show your support.

Why not give it a go?


Broken
(given 5 minutes)


Today I checked the theme of this week’s flash and it was ‘broken’. I thought it was really apt as this week and the last I’ve been glued to the Paralympics. On Monday and tomorrow, I had the honour, and I underline the word ‘honour’, to go and watch these magnificent athletes racing. Winning. Fighting. Overcoming. Not giving up. All of these things so important. Life takes us all on different journeys, throws up different challenges, surprises us, confounds us and sometimes poses us with something that we find difficult to overcome. But these athletes have overcome. I watch with tears in my eyes every time someone crosses the line, and fulfils their dream after years of hard work and determination. Which brings me back to the theme of ‘broken’. What does broken mean? Can such a thing always be overcome? And what of the body and the mind? When are they broken? From watching the Paralympics and these amazing people, I would put forward that nothing is ever truly broken. The spirit is stronger than the body, and the spirit fights back over adversity. A big cheers to the Paralympics athletes. I am in awe.





Dolls
(given 5 mins)

Lopsided smiles
On broken faces
The porcelain cracks
Black lines drawn
Around dark eyes
Red lips beam
The colour smudged
Echoes of a name
Repeated some time
In ages long past
When words frayed
Emotions spent
Childhoods passed
We learn as we cry
We grow as we smile
Giggles at bedtime
Tumbles beside
Running into tomorrow
Pausing to recall
Cracked expressions
Of aged dolls




Some haiku 
(given 5 mins or less for each one)


She fades into dark
Places where sanctitude reigns;
Memories shattered


Snapped into pieces
The doll cries in silences
Tears deep etched in dust


The body broken
Digs deep from the heart to learn
Ways to live again


Into the light she
Shines – before rows of faces
She crosses the line


Despite this cruel crush
The spirit fights in the dark;
A sense of awe shines









4 comments:

  1. Vickie - In case you didn't see my first comments, I really love reading your Haiku - The last two stanzas of your latest touched my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gregory! I only just checked the comments. I went to the Paralympics on Monday and Friday. I loved it soooo much. I'm so going to miss it. Thank you for reading my haiku. They are each individual poems. I'm so glad they touched you. I try to imagine feelings and situations, and try to put them into words that people can connect with. I try to paint a small picture of a moment. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I helped out at the Special Olympics when I was in high school. It was always a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool. I so wish I'd volunteered at the Olympics. I think it took me a while to realise it was really happening!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting :)