Tuesday 16 July 2019

A Poem a Day (97): Figurehead of a bow


Figurehead of a bow
  
I will bleed
between
waking
Until this sodden bed resembles a
                                        floating sea,
Merlot, without the heady
scent.

I shall dine like a queen
             on my bones,
prised free of flesh, 
       picking.

And in my fists I will see the final
stage –
         my re-emergence from
stasis and quiet, 
                   heady in
my mask of a thousand
                                 faces.

I am a figment, chiselled
in a distant memory,
a nod to the ages
already fled, bled and
battered down
to a dusty heel,

Once moulded,
now steeped
in foul
disaffection.

I need The Repeat,
                       the Want and the Scold,
And in this parting I will not lose
shape.

I can recraft myself as I have done before,
a
zillion
times before
you were even
born.

My blood weighs heavy, 
                               bonding
                       to the bed
            like jelly –
an irreverent tomb for the
self.



x

Copyright Vickie Johnstone, May 9, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)