Wednesday 17 July 2019

A Poem a Day (98): Quiet


Written for JD Mader's 2minutes go. 


Quiet

Here,
There are no words,
No interruptions;
Save for this stillness there is
Nothing but the muffled snore
Of a jet cat snoozing amid even steps
Of two hands, ever-counting ways to sneak
Around this quiet to chime a disturbance.
Humming, the squat fridge joins in, bringing
A rhythmic design to the evening.

Outside, garden voices scoop up in a swarm,
Bee-like, phrases mixing into white noise.
My pen top scrawls across the table to a stop
And I roll a blackberry idly, inhaling
Coffee’s sense of musty earth. This time is
Precious, still, and I am at rest, finally.
Upstairs spills the stagger of a distant cough,
Reminding me of the crowd I am
Escaping.

Copyright Vickie Johnstone, July 6, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)