Sunday 17 May 2020

A Poem a Day (147): Man under a bridge


Man under a bridge

The flood comes beneath noise,
Creeping beneath anger.
Low whistle.

Its rage to nothingness,
The great silencing.
This stasis of zero.

“I have nothing
To eat.”

A hunger so unendurable
It screams
What it cannot be.

You find him lacking
In his nakedness.
Disarmed, undignified.

“I have nothing to clothe
Myself.”

The rattle of a train roar
Overhead fuels
His wretchedness.

This pain spirals,
Growing as a leaf
Disintegrating.

“I have nothing.”

Skin pale-drenched,
Eyes still, lit globes
Unseeing.

How do you breathe
In this stagnant sea?
The gut-kick.

“I have.”

Your disgust is real.

We stagger midst the flood,
This sapping weight of
Responsibility.

Have we lost?

“I.”

Copyright Vickie Johnstone, May 17, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)