Saturday 1 August 2020

A Poem a Day (228): The hermit

I wrote a few poems today, but the one I like I’m going to keep for my poetry course, and you can’t share anything already published. So today I’m posting one that I wrote on July 30, and I’ve just reworked it. Cheers. The sun is shining here, so enjoy the day. Hope it's shining wherever you are.


The hermit

The hermit cuts silk pearls in his garden,
Trims back the seaweed conspiring to wander
Into its own retreat, starlit, starstruck.

He stems the waters seeking to slide out.
Life suspended never knocks him offside.
Patience is the thing sustaining him these days.

He can wait. The waiting always waits for him.
In his mind he’s trudging untravelled roads,
Living experiences he’s only dreamed of.

His house curves like a crab’s hard shell,
All these doors stand ajar, never closed,
So the air can breathe and run on through.

He never questions why life is on pause,
Only endures it in a way it becomes endurable.
Like a bird he waits in his nest for spring.

Copyright Vickie Johnstone, August 1, 2020 (first draft July 30)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)