Saturday 13 April 2024

A Poem a Day (641): NaPoWriMo Day 13 - The note

 
Day 13


The note
 
In the time it takes to read this note,
I’ll be gone.


In the time it takes your fist to crush it,
I’ll already be on the first bus out of town.


In the time it takes to check my wardrobe,
I’ll be holding out my hand at another bus stop.


In the time it takes to check my drawers,
I’ll be running with my bags to the railway line.


In the time it takes for realisation to set in,
I’ll be calming my breath as the late train leaves.


In the time it takes for you to grab your keys,
I’ll be blocking whole memories out of my life.


In the time it takes for you to lock the door,
I’ll be planning a route you can never guess.


In the time it takes for you to start your car,
I’ll be praying slashed tyres won’t take you far.


In the time it takes for you to throw a punch,
I’ll be promising that no more will land on me.
 
Copyright Vickie Johnstone, April 13, 2024


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)