Friday 1 January 2021

New Year’s Day poem: The fox and the mole

 
This is an old poem, which I wrote maybe 10 years ago. It's one of my favourites and a fun one for the first day of a new year. 
 
The Fox and the Mole 
(from Kaleidoscope, published in 2011)
 
“Let’s rob a bank,”
said the fox to the mole.
“I’ve got mouths to feed
and I’m feeling the need.”
 
“Okay,” said the mole,
“but you know I can’t see.
I can burrow real deep
though I might fall asleep.”
 
“Well,” said the fox,
“I can offer my cunning.
I will find a way inside
and to you I’ll confide.”
 
“Wake me up,” said the mole,
“when you discover this,
because I’ve got a hunch
we’re in a credit crunch.”
 
So the fox went off thinking
how to rob the posh bank
and came up with a plan
while eating a cherry flan.
 
“Well then,” asked the mole,
“what do you suggest we do
to steal all this money,
but not do anything funny?”
 
“Aha,” said the fox, grinning,
“I’ll tell you what to do –
just burrow under the bank
while I drive up in a tank!”
 
“Oh,” said the mole, frowning,
“I’d never have thought of that.
I didn’t know foxes could drive –
have you told this to your wife?”
 
“No, we must keep this secret,”
said the fox to the mole,
“as she’ll have my guts for garters,
and that’s just for starters.”
 
So off went the fox and the mole
to start their bank-robbing life.
Living it up, the law they defied,
rivalling even Bonny and Clyde.
 
 
Copyright Vickie Johnstone, 2011 
 
 
In the YouTube series of me reciting my poems, here I am reading this one. Thanks to Graham Fraser for organising this YouTube series. Cheers :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)