Monday 5 March 2012

Words with... Michel Prince

                  Out on April 17!



Thanks to Michel Prince for this interview


What is your day job or are you lucky enough to write for a living?

Currently, I work for a healthcare company, working on overpayments. But, because of my position, I get to work from home and have flexible hours.

What books have you written so far?

My first book, Chrysalis, is set for April 17th release through Rebel Ink Press. There are three more books in the series currently completed.
The Frozen is set for release July 17th through Rebel Ink Press. It’s also the first in a series. Although I have the next two books planned out, they are not complete yet.
I also have about six other books in various stages of writing, so when I get to quit my ‘day job’ I’ll have plenty to do.

What works in progress do you have? 

I have two contemporary romances.
One is called Silly Girl, about Sylvia who has been in love with an NBA player since she was sixteen. One day she accidentally meets Matthias; he’s instantly attracted to her and, being someone who has always gotten what he wants, he can’t understand her not falling for all his games. Sylvia sees herself as a black cloud that will destroy the career and reputation that he has built, as well as her troubled past, making intimacy hard for her.
The second one is called The Rotation, about Katie who fears commitment, so she keeps a group of guys she calls her rotation so she can have her needs satisfied without the weight of commitment. When she adds Tuck, she knows from the start it’s a mistake because she has more than a sexual desire for him. He teaches her about love and trust, but when a tragedy hits the two of them she runs. Can his love be strong enough to keep her on her feet or will she fall back into the safety of the rotation?
I have a young adult adventure book called the Millennials, as well as another paranormal romance about dragons.

How long did it take you to write your book/s? 

Chrysalis was written in three weeks. Then it was about two and half years of on and off editing. The Frozen took about three months, I guess. The problem with how long it takes me to write books is that I usually have between two and seven books up on my laptop at one time.

Do you write linear, or jump back and forth? Do you plan or write by the seat of your pants?

My muses tend to fight for my time and, outside of Chrysalis, which was written from beginning to end in one shot, all my others were written as scenes come to me. I’ve found that trying to force my ‘ideas’ on a book just end up on the cutting room floor.

Why do you write?

I do enjoy the process, and it’s great having someone read your story and love your characters like I’ve loved other authors’.

How long have you been writing? 

About three years full-time.

Where and when do you write? Do you have set times? 

When it hits me. Like I said before, I write when my characters talk to me. I’ve found that sometimes they will keep pushing a scene, but sometimes they’ll just give it to me once and won’t be able to get them to repeat it as well as they had the first time, so even if I have to drag myself out of bed to type it up, I will.

Which character from your books do you like most/are most like?

I think Ellie and Kiri – I have similar traits. Probably more Ellie than anyone, but she’s a lot stronger than I am. I really like Ellie’s guardian angel, Kelly. She’s been around so long that she likes to smack Ellie with “you are extremely judgemental”, which is something that Ellie doesn’t like to hear because she feels that she’s not.

What/who inspired you to write and still inspires you?

The ideas have been bouncing around in my head for years, but I got the kick in the pants after rediscovering my love of reading by authors like Lorna Landvick, Phillippa Gregory, Stephanie Meyer, JR Ward and Sherrilyn Kenyon.

What do you think is the ideal recipe for a good novel or story?

You have to overcome something. The characters should grow in some way.

Have you ever based a character on someone from real life? And did you tell them?

Yes and some of them, but not all.

Fave things: animal? food? drink? film? colour? band? song? place? item of clothing?

Love my cat, Emma.
Food is a hard one because it depends on the time of year. Have you ever noticed that there are certain things you can only eat during the summer, fall, etc?
Drink: Dr Pepper.
Colour: lilac.
Band: maybe Outkast. I tend to like a lot of bands and singers, so it’s really hard to pick one.
Song: currently it’s When I’m With You. It is by a new artist named Sierra, who is letting it be the official song for Chrysalis, so I love that song right now.
Clothing: fuzzy pyjama pants.

When you were a kid, what did you want to do/who did you want to be when you grew up?

The list would be shorter if I told you what I didn’t want to be. But the three biggest things were a fashion designer (yes the fuzzy pyjama pants lady), an astrophysicist and finally a teacher. And, outside of training boy scout leaders on how to have the boys earn the Scientist pin, I don’t do any of those things. 

Would you say that your dreams have come true or are you still working on them?
 
When I can write full-time with a muse as a best friend that wont shut up then, yes. Until then, no.

You’re walking in the forest and you bump into an alien librarian from Mars. He wants five book recommendations from you…

The Constant Princess, Phillippa Gregory
Summer Sisters, Judy Blume
Master of the Game, Sydney Sheldon
Lover Awakened, JR Ward
Please, baby, please, Spike Lee

Who is your favourite character from any book and why?

Vix from Summer Sisters… I don’t know why, she just seems relatable.

Who is your hero/heroine?

Sherrilyn Kenyon.

Which book do you wish you had written?

Twilight series so we could have had a real sex scene. Oh and the fact that I’d be a billionaire. 

Which three authors would you like to take to the pub?

 JR Ward, Darynda Jones and Sherrilyn Kenyon.

Are you published or self-published? What is your experience?

Published by Rebel Ink Press. I did win some small local awards in elementary, but writing experience, I would be a novice.

How do you find the marketing experience? 

Stressful. Am I doing too much too soon or not enough? It’s a fine line and I don’t want to grab someone’s attention only to have them forget about me when I release my book.
What advice would you give other writers just starting out?
Trust your voice. You can’t write for a publisher or agent. You have to write for you and the right publisher or agent will find you. The biggest books out there are ones that should have never worked. The Twilight series – I heard a publisher who said they wouldn’t have even looked at it because it was 160K long; same with Harry Potter, and all the rest. The sad part is we are told they are the exception and not the rule, which is true, but why shouldn’t you try to be exceptional and let the others be the rule?

Do you have a blog? What do you blog about?

Yes. It’s a marketing necessity I’ve found. On Wednesdays I usually have my random thoughts. Sometimes it’s on writing, other times it’s on the world around me. On Fridays I have an author interview from all sorts of genres.

What other hobbies do you have?

I cross-stitch and I’m a Boy Scout leader. Actually, I volunteer at the pack – district and council level.

What would you like to achieve in the next five years?

Have at least two, if not four, successful series. I’m taking the selling goal one at a time, with an initial goal of 100 copies. Then I’ll look at 500, but the overall goal would be to hit 10K so I could be listed as a bestseller.

If you won the Lotto or a major publishing contract, what would you do with that dosh?

Pay off bills first. Lasik eye surgery next, then take the honeymoon I didn’t get back in 1998.

Complete one of these stories in 100 words or less…

1. There was once a wee worm called Fred…
2. In the deep and darkest reaches of the dank forest...
3. One day Charlotte decided she was going to change the world...

In the deep and darkest reaches of the dank forest was a witch named Clara who lived in secret due to child who had been born with the mark of the falcon. For all in the villages knew that the falcon was sent to the Earth to observe, judge those who had wronged those who had created us. But as her health failed she knew that someday her son, Dalton, would have to re-enter the villages.
  
What question do you wish I’d asked and, of course, what is the answer?

People tend to wonder why my characters are always athletes so…Gee, Michel, why are all your characters athletes?

Because there is a mindset of an athlete and what they have achieved in their pursuit. Also what position they play on the team tells a lot about a person. Take Ellie, she’s a volleyball player. But she’s the setter, which is the leader on the team. Now she’s earned that position because of her skill, but her coach can’t put her in it permanently because she hasn’t stepped up to the leadership part. She’s part of a team that depends on her, much like her family and friends do. On the other hand, Kiri is a track coach and tends to be very ID driven.  


Book blurb

   In the annals of dysfunctional families the Chisholm’s are working their way to the top. Drug abuse, unwed mother with multiple fathers and the questionable cash flow for the “pretty one”.  All this from a seemingly normal two parent middle class family, but were the choices truly made of their free will.
      Bad choices are a Chisholm family trait, one that confounds the youngest child, Ellie, who is trying to separate herself by making smart decisions.
      Falling for Oscar Jeffreys, the hottest guy at school would be number one in the Chisholm family disasters … the crazy part is it’s not a one sided attraction. Somehow Ellie has caught Oscar Jeffreys’ eye.  
      Sure she could see the barriers between them. Race, age, popularity. They were at opposite ends of the spectrum. A demon set to destroy her family was not on the list.
      Oscar provides security and acceptance that she never imagined she deserved. As the passion of first love grows, Ellie can see that she has a chance to beat the odds and live a happy, normal life.
      Then her world collapses around her. With the help of a guardian angel Ellie learns of a world that had unknowingly surrounded her for years. She will have to find strength buried deep inside to save not only her future, but flush out and stop the demon in her midst.
    Ellie will have to learn that sometimes the hardest lesson in growing up is accepting that you are worth more. 

Links:





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me by, you had some new and fun questions.

    Michel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the interview! It was a fun read :)
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting :)