Friday 17 April 2020

A Poem a Day (124): Retro kid

I wrote this for 2minutesgo, JD Mader’s writing blog. Write, read, post anything there over the weekend. You've got all weekend :) This is a poem about childhood and those hot eternal summers we used to have.


Retro kid

I stand here singing my heart out
To the back of a nylon hairbrush
As my brother tries to capture me
On my mother’s flat tape recorder:
Fingers up, down, stop, pause, up, play.

Dancing in front of the long mirror,
Humming along to ‘Bend me, shape
Me’, it’s my finest moment surely,
While the old 45 runs rings around us,
Needle on the record bouncing in tune.

We try to capture every part of the song
As the midday sun calls out to us
To head out on our bikes and play.
But we need to finish our recording –
Fame beckons – out there, somewhere!

It’s a world of orangey brown in the 70s,
From my mother’s dress to the plastic beakers
With white dots perched on kitchen shelves
To the shag-pile carpet our cat is splayed on,
And summer is never-ending, lasting a year or two.

Our friendly neighbours shake out a green hose
Like a snake where our two gardens greet.
We spin in circles, laughing, leaping the spray,
Our collie dog barking and stamping his paws
As the water cascades in a silvery sundance.

Copyright Vickie Johnstone, April 17, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)