Wednesday 22 April 2020

NaPoWriMo Day 22: Holy cow!

Hi, I’m doing NaPoWriMo on napowrimo.net. The challenge is to write a poem a day in April. 

For Day 22, the prompt was to use a phrase from another language or culture as the jumping-off point for a poem. This was funny as phrases in one language have no meaning in another. In the prompt, check out the links one, two and three, and you’ll have a good laugh.

I’ve put the meanings of the two phrases I used in my poem at the end. Cheers.

This is the prompt for the April 20 poem:
The (optional) prompt for the day asks you to engage with different languages and cultures through the lens of proverbs and idiomatic phrases. Many different cultures have proverbs or phrases that have largely the same meaning, but are expressed in different ways. For example, in English we say “his bark is worse than his bite”, but the same idea in Spanish would be stated as “the lion isn’t as fierce as his painting”. Today, I’d like to challenge you to find an idiomatic phrase from a different language or culture and use it as the jumping-off point for your poem. Here’s a few lists to help get you started: one, two, three.

Holy cow

There’s no cow on the ice,
He said, pointing to the angry sky.
It will not rain today on high.

I did not trust his line of advice
For the cumulonimbus were rolling in,
The wind’s rapture building.

I did not want to offend the man,
Stranger as I was in a strange land,
But things seemed to be gathering torment.

A frog in a well doesn’t know the great sea,
He said as the trees shook around me.
Was I the frog? I suppressed my need to vent.

When I looked up I saw him bent double,
Chucking with glee at my fear of trouble.

Copyright Vickie Johnstone, April 22, 2020


Meanings of the two phrases I used:

There’s no cow on the ice (Swedish)
Meaning: there’s no need to worry

A frog in the well does not know the great sea (Japanese)
Meaning: there’s more going on than you know

Here are some other great phrases I found interesting or funny, and almost used:

One afternoon in your next incarnation (Thai)
Meaning: it’s never going to happen!

The hen sees the snake’s feet and the snake sees the hen’s boobs (Thai)
Meaning: two people know each other’s secrets

Go pick mushrooms! (Latvian)
Meaning: go away and leave me alone!

He who doesn’t have a dog hunts with a cat (Portuguese)
Meaning: you make the most of what you’ve got

Pay the duck (Portuguese)
Meaning: take the blame

The pussy cat will come to the tiny door (Croatian)
Meaning: what goes around comes around

Balls of a swan (Croatian)
Meaning: impossible

To live with wolves you have to howl like a wolf (Russian)
Meaning: to survive in a dangerous situation you need to try to blend in


2 comments:

Thanks for commenting :)