Monday 13 April 2020

NaPoWriMo Day 13: Mouse Tail


Hi, I’m doing NaPoWriMo on napowrimo.net. The challenge is to write a poem a day in April. 

For Day 13, the prompt plays on the idea of stealing and writing a non-apology for it.

This is the prompt for the April 13 poem:
Today, I challenge you to write a non-apology for the things you’ve stolen. Maybe it’s something as small as your sister’s hairbrush (or maybe it was your sister’s boyfriend!).


Mouse Tail

I am the brown scuffling mouse
Who lives behind the skirting
In the kitchen of your house.

I am the one who will eat
The savoury samples off your floor
At his leisure while you sleep,

Have a little disco dance by night
Beneath your glittery disco ball –
I consider this my rodential right.

I sniff the cupboards for openings,
Taking care not to leave any droppings
Or evidence of my midnight feastings.

This is my half-assed apology…

Written in dust upon your table,
Though you’ll never know of it
As I cannot write in Human fable.

Ah, a feline scent scares me – I confess!
I have dawdled here far too long
And must hide from your furry giantess.

Copyright Vickie Johnstone, April 13, 2020



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)