Saturday 18 April 2020

NaPoWriMo Day 18: A little life


Hi, I’m doing NaPoWriMo on napowrimo.net. The challenge is to write a poem a day in April. 

For Day 18, the prompt was to write about life’s small pleasures.

This is the prompt for the April 18 poem:
Our optional prompt for the day honours the idea of Saturday (the Saturdays of the soul, perhaps?) by challenging you to write an ode to life’s small pleasures. Perhaps it’s the first sip of your morning coffee. Or finding some money in the pockets of an old jacket. Discovering a bird’s nest in a lilac bush, or just looking up at the sky and watching the clouds go by.


A little life

Light tiptoes in,
Shy morning greets me
With a hello,
Curled under blankets
With a dog-eared
Book.

This is the quiet time,
The great emptying
Of air, water, earth
And tepid fire
Before the street
Awakens.

Even the birds
Haven’t cottoned on
Yet.

My cup of tea waits
Steaming.
I hug it to my chest,
And in these idle
Moments all is right
In my world.

Copyright Vickie Johnstone, April 18, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)