Monday 20 April 2020

NaPoWriMo Day 20: Melody of light

Hi, I’m doing NaPoWriMo on napowrimo.net. The challenge is to write a poem a day in April. 

For Day 20, the prompt was to write about a homemade gift.

This is the prompt for the April 20 poem:
Today, in gratitude for making it to Day 20, our (optional) prompt asks you to write a poem about a handmade or homemade gift that you have received. It could be a friendship bracelet made for you by a grade-school classmate, an itchy sweater from your Aunt Louisa, a plateful of cinnamon toast from your grandmother, a mix-tape from an old girlfriend. And whatever gift you choose, we wish you happy writing!

Melody of light

‘A little life’ is a poem I wrote
For NaPoWriMo, with the light
Tiptoeing through, a mote.

Yesterday my uncle sent me a song,
‘As the light (tiptoes in)’, taking
My words out of their cage,
Lifting them off the silent page,
With a guitar as their companion,
Personalising it with a revision
Of his own way of seeing things.

The words were mine and his,
The melody his alone, of course,
For I don’t have a musical mind
And I cannot sing for coffee.
Seriously, the cats in your street
Would all come out to meet
Me, and mew along in time.

It seems to me that songs
Are like little poems
For the birds, flying free. 

Copyright Vickie Johnstone, April 20, 2020



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)