Saturday 4 April 2020

NaPoWriMo Day 4: Paws


I’m doing NaPoWriMo on napowrimo.net. The challenge is to write a poem a day in April. Today is actually day 4, but I discovered this late (story of my life), so I’m catching up this weekend!

This is the prompt for the April 4 poem: 
Write a poem based on an image from a dream. We don’t always remember our dreams, but images or ideas from them often stick with us for a very long time. 


 Paws

Her almond eyes meet mine,
Lighting up the dark,
Seeing into me, through me.

Long whiskers twitch,
Picking up strange incantations
Or movements on the wind.

I swear she smiles.
Do animals smile?

She comes to tell me I am blameless,
Her final goodbye was not my fault.

These are the thoughts I read,
Whether said or not. She nods.
Our connection is unbroken.

I miss her already, knowing it’s the last,
Her only visit. And so she turns,
Her message delivered in dreamtime.

And I wake.

Copyright Vickie Johnstone, April 4, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)