Sunday 19 April 2020

NaPoWriMo 19: Archive of a room

Hi, I’m doing NaPoWriMo on napowrimo.net. The challenge is to write a poem a day in April. 

For Day 19, the prompt was to write using a walking archive.

This is the prompt for the April 19 poem:

Write a poem based on a ‘walking archive’. What’s that? Well, it’s when you go on a walk and gather up interesting things – a flower, a strange piece of bark, a rock. This becomes your ‘walking archive’ – the physical instantiation of your walk. If you’re unable to get out of the house (as many of us are), you can wander around your own home and gather knick-knacks, family photos, maybe a strange spice or kitchen gadget you never use. Once you’ve finished your gathering, lay all your materials out on a tray table, like museum specimens. Now, let your group of materials inspire your poem!

Archive of a room

The big gathering
Begins with a photograph.
A bumblebee hovering
Over pale purple cactuses,
Their orange horns yearning
For his pollen-dusted fuzz.

Rose quartz, blue glass fish,
A dog walking his old lady,
Cat curled in a wooden nap.

Beneath my cup, the cowboy
Bill Silhouette rests his guitar
Against a huge yellow moon,
‘Music city dreaming’.

I reminisce of Nashville lights,
Its 24-7 rock-blues-country vibe,
Settling in at the Station Inn.
A blue and white camper van
Tells me to ‘Go your own way’
And I have, I think, come what may.

Dancing in a yellow sea of notes,
Girl in a blue dress twirls the stars
As two mice giggle, the cat on a scarf
Hung too far off to pounce.

In a tale of two cushions, the owl
Seeks an Eiffel of the Parisian scene,
But he is grounded here for life.
I wonder what adventure Mr Dahl
Would write for him?

‘Shine like the sun’ the birds tell me
When the dark has sucked out the light
And I don’t feel like facing this world.

I take a bee bomb from the closet
To venture into the sun-soaked outside
Where blackbirds sift the silence,
Unfurling their song into empty spaces.

And I am back where we started,
Imagining fuzzy bees 
When the wildflowers grow.

Copyright Vickie Johnstone, April 19, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)