Thursday 30 April 2020

NaPoWriMo Day 30: April (with snakes in her hair)

Hi, I’ve been writing a poem a day for NaPoWriMo on napowrimo.net and sadly this is the last day. It’s been great as it got me writing every day and I’m a massive procrastinator (ie. lazy bastardos)! I’m very grateful to the lady who runs it. It inspired me to sign up to some online classes too. So here is my poem for NaPoWriMo Day 30. I went out with a romantic one. Ahhh. Cheers.

For Day 30, the prompt was to write about something that returns.

This is the prompt for the April 30 poem:
I’d like to challenge you to write a poem about something that returns. For, just as the swallows come back to Capistrano each year, NaPoWriMo and GloPoWriMo will ride again!


April (with snakes in her hair)

April breezed in as the seasons turned,
Carrying a red suitcase in one hand,
Her face hidden by snake hair curling,
Dark as her eyes and her humour.

From where she came I never knew.
She never said and I never asked.
The bruises on her face told a story
But it was one I never sought to read.

She treasured a pack of Tarot cards,
Illustrated with mystical dragons,
Reading them daily in the mornings
Sitting cross-legged on my tiled floor.

Loud and brash, her laughter filled
The house like water running through,
Her moods as changeable as the wind,
Clashing like her mis-matched clothes.

I knew it was time for her to go before
She told me. It was written in the cards,
She said, and she had to heed the call.
No matter what her heart argued.

It’s been six weeks, my calendar tells me,
And summer is drifting into autumn.
The trees are changing and the wind is shifting,
And I know it’s carrying her back to me.

Copyright Vickie Johnstone, April 30, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)